Bleeding for a good cause

Authors: Sarah Mast

Fort Collins is bleeding for a competition.

The Colorado State Student-Athlete Advisory Committee, alongside the Poudre Valley Health System and the Mountain West Conference, is holding a blood drive on Thursday to benefit the Garth Englund Donor Center.

Each of the nine Mountain West Conference schools is holding a blood drive this week on campus or in its city. The school that collects the most pints of blood receives a traveling trophy at the MWC Basketball Tournament in March.

"We are aiming to break the record for the number of people who attend the blood drive, and we hope to break the record for number of pints collected locally," said Heather Kennedy , a CSU athletic coordinator. The local record is currently 148 pints.

Kennedy said CSU is going to need as many participants as possible because Fort Collins is a fairly small town compared to some of the competing cities like San Diego and Fort Worth.

"Any students who donate blood can get a coupon for a breakfast burrito from Qdoba," Kennedy said. "We are hoping that will get more students involved."

Some students have other reasons for donating blood aside from the free food.

"I think donating blood is important. It's a win-win situation because you are helping your school and possibly saving a life," said Micaela McRee , a freshman health and exercise science major.

Anyone interested in donating blood can do so between 7:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. in the Hall of Fame Room in Moby Arena, from 7:30 to 10:30 a.m. at First National Bank downtown, or from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. on the Lory Student Center Plaza.

Students can also sign up for a specific time to donate blood at the women's basketball game tonight.

"I think this is a great opportunity to compete with our rival schools and give back to the community that we call home for nine months of the year," said Jennifer Ducray, a sophomore chemistry major.