Authors: Sean Star

Five seniors swam their final home meet Friday as the Rams dropped their last dual meet of the season, 161-82 to the defending conference championions, the UNLV Rebels. UNLV improved its conference record to 5-2 with the win.

The fourth consecutive loss for the Rams finalizes the team's conference record at 4-4 heading into the Mountain West Conference Championships. The  championships cover four days and begin Feb. 22 in Oklahoma City.

"Our next twenty days are our rest days," said head coach John Mattos. "We get to fine-tune all the little things we have maybe done wrong and concentrate on the those we've done right."

Although CSU lost 10 of the 13 events over the weekend, both diving competitions were dominated by CSU. Sophomores Elyse Hall and Karin Knudson took home first and second place in both the 1-meter and 3-meter diving events. Knudson's 288.22 score in the 3-meter dive not only earned her team first-place points, but it was a personal best as well.

"Karin had been having some trouble with consistency, and it was really good for her to have a good meet before we head down for the conference championships," said diving coach Kevin Witt.

Senior Taylor Felton closed out her career at Moby Pool in style, winning the 1,000-yard freestyle with a time of 10:37.45.

"It was nice to go out on top with a win as a senior, because that doesn't happen to me very often," she said with a bouquet of flowers in her hand as part of the senior night festivities.

Felton is joined by fellow seniors Alyson Aggers, Tiffany Thompson, Liz Jones and Rachelle Kula.

Each senior showed some emotion after the meet, saying it was sad that their tenure in Fort Collins was close to an end.

"They're outstanding young people with a great future," Mattos said.