Authors: DREW GONZALES

For the ninth time in the last ten years, CSU indoor track won the Air Force Invitational in Colorado Springs. Athletes from both the men's and women's side were able to out-last, out-sprint and out-jump their counterparts from schools like Arizona State University (ASU), the University of Hawaii and in-state rival the University of Colorado (CU).

The women's team dominated, beating second place ASU 181.5-127. Meanwhile, the men defeated CU 141.5-125.

This was an extremely important win for the Rams, especially considering their close second place finish last week in the Nebraska Triangular. This narrow loss left the team, as head coach Del Hessel described, "disappointed but motivated."

CSU's motivation showed as they got off to an excellent start on day one of the meet. A fast start was vital for the Rams, as they could no longer afford to dwell on what happened in Nebraska.

Junior Trey Eder, seniors Nate Heyrman and Jace Rivera claimed the top three spots in the men's weight throw. In the men's and women's unseeded 3,000-meter run, the Rams finished first and second, the men also claimed third and fourth place.

CSU also finished strong on both sides of the distance medley relay. The women's team, made up of senior Danielle Korb, junior Megan Fox, sophomore Heather Loeske and freshman Chantelle Dron, recorded the best relay time. The men's relay team also did well, finishing in second place.

The Rams' momentum from day one of the meet carried into day two. On Friday, freshman Chantelle Dron helped CSU to a victory in the women's medley relay team, but on Saturday she added the best time in the women's mile.

Junior Megan Fox, also on the women's medley relay team, wrapped up her successful weekend when she finished second in both the women's 60 and 200-meter dashes.

Senior Amanda Huddleston-Miller took the top spot in the women's triple jump, and lastly, sophomore Val McGregor took first in the men's 5,000-meter run.

In the first two scored events of the season, the Rams have finished first and second. Next week they'll try to stay on track even though the team will be split up again. Some Rams will travel to Fayetteville, Ark., where they will compete in the Tyson Invitational. Others will head just south to Golden, to compete in the Colorado School of Mines Open.

DREW GONZALES can be reached at sports@collegian.com