Show me the money

Authors: Brett Okamoto

For the second time in the past nine months the CSU football program received a sizable financial donation from a former athlete, looking to give back to his school.

Brady Smith, a 10-year NFL veteran, announced Thursday he would make a donation to the tune of $75,000 to help the CSU football program purchase more video and weight room equipment. A $200,000 donation was received from Super Bowl-bound Joey Porter less than a year ago.

Smith, who recently visited CSU's campus to attend the postseason football banquet, said it was his way of giving back for what CSU has done for him.

"This gift is my attempt to express my gratitude to CSU's football program – for sending me on my way to a professional career as an athlete," said Smith according to a Tuesday press release. "My hope is that this donation will help the program meet some needs, allowing it to remain a contending force in college athletics."

Head coach Sonny Lubick was proud to accept the donation and talk about his former defensive lineman.

"I cannot thank Brady enough for his support of our program. It is very special that he thinks highly of the experience he had at Colorado State," Lubick said. "It's nice to know that when individuals leave our program, they remain committed and involved in our continued success by assisting us."

Smith was the conference Defensive Player of the Year in 1995 for the Rams, when he set the school's single-season sack record with 15. Smith was taken with the 70th overall selection in the 1996 NFL draft. He now plays for the Atlanta Falcons.