Authors: Katie Kelley

*Additional reporting provided by James Baetke

Meet Bob.

Bob has a lot of friends.

Bob has traveled through many countries to be here in Fort Collins, Colo., and has specifically come from South America.

Bob is a big hit at parties, but not many people talk about Bob – they just like to use Bob because Bob makes them feel good. Bob is what some people in Fort Collins refer to as cocaine.

Cocaine is not only known as Bob, but also as "Tony," among other terms.

Cocaine has been around since the early 1800s; however, the drug was used by South American natives to cure "fatigue." The natives also chewed the leaves of the coca plant for thousands of years prior to the development of the cocaine powder used today.

Cocaine is considered by the Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) to be "the most stimulant (drug) of natural origin." It is obtained through extracted coca plant leaves.

Cocaine is one of the more glamorized drugs portrayed in movies and music; however, the ONDCP considers cocaine one of the less prominent drugs in America. In 2003, approximately "9.2 percent of college students reported using cocaine at least once during their lifetimes," according to the ONDCP. This is however, a relatively small number compared to the 50.7 percent of college students who reported using marijuana the same year.

(ED NOTE: we can cut this here, or at the end depending on space)

The Pulse Report from the White House Drug Policy also states the "most widely abused drugs" are marijuana, methamphetamines and heroine, placing powder and crack cocaine as the second "most widely abused drug."

Dwight Burke, a detective with the Larimer County Drug Task Force, believes cocaine is just as available as marijuana and methamphetamines. "I think meth receives a lot of attention," Burke said. "Cocaine use is very much around in college communities. There are dealers and users among college-age students."

John Matthews, a CSU senior whose name has been changed to protect his identity, feels cocaine is just as prevalent as marijuana at CSU. Matthews feels that in Fort Collins, especially at CSU, cocaine use is quickly becoming more common.

"Cocaine in Greeley and Fort Collins is out of control," Matthews said.

*To read the full version of this story, as well as many others, pick up a copy of the second issue of College Avenue, CSU's student-run magazine, which hits the racks today in the Lory Student Center, Clark Building A and the Student Recreation Center.

A launch party is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. in the Ramskeller. Stop by for food, prizes and more!

For more information, please contact College Avenue Editor-in-chief Amanda Schank at csumag@lamar.colostate.edu or call (970) 491-7513.