Rams Welcome Cougars

Authors: Trevor Edy

After a heart-breaking loss two nights ago to the University of Wyoming in the "Border War" 72-67, the CSU Men's Basketball team (12-7, 1-4 MWC) is on a three-game losing streak. They'll try to change that this weekend when they take the court against Brigham Young University on Saturday night in Moby Arena, where they boast a 10-1 record.

In their last outing the Rams were out hustled according to head coach Dale Layer.

"The more aggressive team won tonight," said Layer after the team suffered their fourth conference loss.

The BYU (11-6) cougars come into Moby with a 3-3 conference record, but have yet to win a conference game on the road in three tries this season. The Cougars are currently on a two-game winning streak, with wins over Wyoming and an overtime victory against TCU last week.

Freshman forward Trent Plaisted is coming off a career-night against the TCU Horned Frogs, putting up 22 points and 16 rebounds on Wednesday night. The 6'11'' forward is leading the Cougars in scoring with 13 points a night and 5.5 boards.

Plaisted will be pitted against seven-foot Ram center Jason Smith. Smith is averaging a team-high 17 points and seven rebounds a contest. The sophomore is also ranked third in blocked shots in the MWC.

The BYU backcourt is led by senior guard Brock Reichner, who is averaging 10 points and 2.6 assists a night.

CSU's defense will have to step up when the Cougars get to Fort Collins on Saturday night, because BYU brings in the most productive offense in the conference, averaging 76.5 points per game.

The Rams rank second in scoring offense with 75.8 per game, but are last in the conference in defense, surrendering 70.5 points a night.

Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. at Moby Arena.