Authors: Collegian Staff

Underwater hockey players squirmed around on their bellies, sorority sisters giggled and Greeks bore their letters on matching sweatshirts Wednesday at the Lory Student Center – all in a bid to attract new members to join their causes.

Centertainment, a semi-annual recruitment event for student groups, drew hundreds of students to the LSC Main Ballroom to look into CSU's diverse array of clubs.

Crafts adorned one table, where the Medieval Society of CSU set up camp. The group teaches its members to fight with medieval weapons, create art and brew mead and beer like they did in the days of knights and damsels. It also holds camping trips and tournaments.

But Wednesday was slow for recruitment, the group's representatives said.

"At an outdoor demo, we can show fighting," said member Susan Woodard, senior zoology major.

The crowded ballroom would not allow for more elaborate showcasing – court dancing, fencing, heavy-weapon fighting or the like.

Nearby, the CSU Democrats table saw a slow trickle of interested students. Acting Vice President Ellen Steiner, junior social work major, blamed it on a tame election year.

Other clubs present included a wide variety of ethnic organizations, academic clubs, intramural sports and hobbyists.

For more information about student organizations, go to www.sc.colostate.edu/studentorg.