Fight to the End

Authors: Stacey Zynen

Points Rebounds Assists

Melissa Dennett 25 14 0

Vanessa Espinoza 3 0 2

Lindsay Thomas 4 5 0

Sara Hunter 11 4 1

The Rams and the Cowgirls fought head-to-head in the Border War Wednesday night with 3,777 spectators watching the intense rivalry. The game took CSU into its first overtime contest of the season.

Despite a grueling competition, the Rams fell 87-80 to the University of Wyoming, dropping them to 7-10 overall and 1-5 in the Mountain West Conference.

"We found some things in this team tonight that have been hiding. It was a tremendous night of finding some things inside us and we stayed in the moment no matter what happened in the game," head coach Jenn Warden said in a press release after the game. "We took great risks and I couldn't be more proud of our players. No matter who we tapped on the shoulder they were ready to do whatever we needed."

The Rams trailed 34-30 at half time, but had a five-point lead with 10 seconds to go before Wyoming scored a 3-point shot as well as lay-up to tie the game 66-66, sending the teams to overtime.

Senior forward Melissa Dennett scored a team-high 25 points while grabbing 14 rebounds before fouling out in overtime. She recorded her eighth double-double for the season.

Junior guard Molly Nohr achieved a career-high in scoring and rebounding with 18 and nine, respectively. Sophomore guard Sara Hunter and forward Casie Shepard both scored in double-digits with 11 and 10.

Jodi Bolerjack led the Cowgirls with a team-high 25 points, which included four shots from beyond the 3-point arc and a perfect 100 percent from the free throw line. She was assisted by Wyoming's senior guard Erin Hicks, who scored 21 points for the night, and Hanna Zavecz who contributed 18 points. Dennett and Nohr scored a combined 27 points together in the second half for the Rams.

Senior starting guard Vanessa Espinoza had to leave the game due to an eye injury one minute into the second half. She did not return.

"It takes a village…we have a very intimate offense so what that says to me was the whole team stepped up, realized who was hot and got them the ball. Every move we made as a team, we made it together," coach Warden said.