Authors: Danielle Yuthas

Controversial political voice took stage Sunday afternoon at the Lincoln Center, 417 W. Magnolia St., in the form of the play "A Bright Room Called Day."

Respect is due to the nonprofit OpenStage Theatre & Company for exercising its right to take a firm political stance, but that is the only element worthy of applause.

The play's attempt at retelling history has a sound concept, but the execution was sub-par. It was straight political discussion; it may work as a comparative essay on the Nazi party in Berlin in the 1930s and politics in modern times, but it is a dry play.

George W. Bush haters may find the dramatized parallel between our nation's president and Hitler engaging if they can stand the atrocious acting in the dull one-room set. Four main characters are often drunk and arguing in the play, which further annoys the audience.

Another character, the "devil," is especially exaggerated and his poorly applied makeup is distracting. The protagonist is supposed to be an intelligent, passionate, modern woman but came across as an unappealing, stereotypical, young rebel instead.

To say this is performing arts would be an overstatement; a soapbox would be a more appropriate name. If anyone is still interested in seeing this politically saturated performance, it runs Fridays and Saturdays at 8 p.m. and Sundays at 2 p.m. through Feb. 4. The price is $15 for evening shows with student ID and $13 for matinees.

Consider yourself warned.