Man charged in arsons

Authors: Brandon Lowrey

The Larimer County District Attorney has filed charges against a man accused of setting fire to two Fort Collins businesses within the last month and a half.

Steven Anderson, 24, faces two charges each of burglary and first-degree arson, a Larimer County District Attorney's official said Tuesday. Anderson was already being held at Larimer County Detention Center on unrelated charges.

On Dec. 23, firefighters interviewed Anderson as a witness to an early morning blaze that broke out at Pressworks – a printing business at 416 Remington Street, said Jason Mantas, spokesman for the Poudre Valley Fire Authority. Investigators took a sample of his clothing and sent it to a laboratory for testing, he said.

The fire, which apparently started in some flammable liquid used in printing, caused considerable damage to the business, Mantas said. He was unable to provide an estimated dollar amount for the damage.

On Jan. 7, Grillers, a restaurant in the 700 block of South College Avenue, was set ablaze. Sprinklers in the restaurant kept the damage to a minimum, Mantas said.

Both businesses had apparently also been broken into before the fires.

The district attorney filed the charges against Anderson last week after an investigation by the Poudre Valley Fire Authority and Fort Collins Police Services.

Anderson is being held in lieu of $20,000 bail and is set to appear at 8:30 a.m. in Larimer County District Court on Thursday.