Authors: Stacey Zynen

The TCU Horned Frogs hopped to the top Saturday after a fast-paced competition at Moby Arena resulting in a Ram's 73-83 loss that drops them 7-9 (1-4 MWC) for the season.

"I am really proud of our effort today. We executed a tremendous game plan. Despite the loss, I am proud of our progress this week and our play tonight," said Rams' head coach Jen Warden.

The Rams started with an early basket by senior Melissa Dennett, which gave them a lead they would not forfeit for the first five minutes of the game. After nine lead changes in the first half, the Rams went into halftime behind by only a basket.

"We executed tonight and this team forced us to do some things that we're not used to doing. This was a big 3-point shooting team and we took that away from them," Dennett said. Dennett was the team's leading scorer with 13 points and also hauled in 10 rebounds to give her a double-double on the night.

Senior Vanessa Espinoza was the second leading scorer in the game with 10 points. She made two shots from beyond the arc, making this her 12th consecutive game to score at least one three-pointer. She acknowledged the loss but looks at the future with confidence.

"It kills us to have so many turnovers in a row, and offensive rebounding really hurt us. That is just unacceptable," Espinoza said. "They're a running team and we stopped that tonight, but you can't win a game without rebounds. This is what basketball is about. We have to shake off this loss and come out motivated for our next game,"

The Horned Frogs (10-6, 4-1 MWC) were not able to work their 3-point game but that didn't phase guard Natasha Lacy who scored 18 points and grabbed 11 rebounds. Forward Lori Butler-Rayford contributed 12 points and grabbed 10 rebounds. Starting guard Adrianne Ross also added 11 points to the final score.

"This team was deep and talented and young. We could tell how disciplined they are by the way they warmed up," Warden said.

Despite the loss, the Rams shot 45 percent from the floor as compared to the Horned Frogs who only shot 36 percent. Molly Nohr and Marilyn Moulton put up nine points each to represent the Rams' bench.

While their record might not reflect their own expectations, Warden is still confident in her team's ability.

"This team is flawless to me," Warden said. "They are an incredibly strong group of women."