Kyle Morse's letter to the editor, while bereft of the academic rigor it so readily endorses, nevertheless makes a valiant effort to dichotomize Christianity and legitimate science. Explicit within his advocacy of godless scientific curriculum is a fallacious assumption that "hard science" will invariably produce evidence contrary to creationism.

Any religion that dares lay claim to absolute and universal truth must be willing to concede and defend that truth in all arenas of investigation, scientific or otherwise.

With this in mind, I maintain that intelligent design is not "confused with science," as Morse claims – rather, it is enriched by science. The Bible itself asserts this notion when it states, "since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities – his eternal power and divine nature – have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made" (Romans 1:20). In my mind, this verse acts as a gauntlet boldly thrown before the Christian community. It encourages believers to wholeheartedly pursue scientific exploration with the assurance that, whether from a telescope or a microscope, the evidence yielded by such endeavors will fortify rather than jeopardize the validity of the Bible.

The "blind faith" maligned by Morse is needless in a religion whose trustworthiness is continually affirmed in all avenues of intelligent inquiry. We can be confident that the accounts of scripture and the natural world are two texts which put forth the same compelling narrative of a real and living God who is sovereign, timeless and undeniably creative. That said, maybe it's time for Mr. Morse to put down his preconceptions and pick up the Bible.

Elizabeth Ewing

junior

music and philosophy