Quartet amazes audience

Authors: Danielle Yuthas

The music of the Borromeo string quartet filled the auditorium, but it was the musicians' emotions and passions for playing music that resounded Tuesday night when the Borromeo string quartet and guest pianist Jonathan Biss performed at Griffin Hall. The marvelous performance was a pedestal displaying the musicians' talent. The audience could truly feel the intensity when of the music.

"With a group as small as a quartet, they are watched and listened to more closely – so it ups the ante because they must project skill and charisma with a lot more fluidity," said senior music and speech communications major David Okada.

Biss, 25, has expertly played the piano all over the world and played in the New York Philharmonic among other renowned orchestras.

The Borromeo string quartet performs globally as well. They began in northern Italy in 1989 and chose to name themselves "Borromeo" after the region of the orchestra's roots, said violinist Nicholas Kitchen.

Kitchen said he "lets the music tell a story to the audience and the hands follow." He speaks of his hands as though they have a mind of their own and stresses the importance of practice.

In addition to teaching music and practicing individually, the orchestra practices together three hours per day.

"When the music connects and we can feel people connect, that's what it's all about," Kitchen said. The quartet struck a chord with the audience.

Junior music performance and pre-medicine major Jessica Hazlett can relate to the quarter considering she is part of one. Hazlett was impressed with the performance.

"They have the best energy of any quartet I've seen. Amazing!" she exclaimed.

The Borromeo quartet will return to CSU March 24, so if music is your fancy, be sure to check them out.