Authors: Stacey Zynen

The CSU women's basketball team only got half of their wishes over the holidays.

The Rams fell to the Utah Utes on Saturday in Salt Lake City, dropping them to 7-7 for the season. The road has proven itself to be a struggle for the Rams, who have lost six of their seven away games in the 2005-06 season.

"We have several opportunities that we have yet to take advantage of and with some home games in the near future, we have to take care of business," said head coach Jen Warden. "We've recently played two teams in the Top 25 and it was a challenge, but now we're ready for the future."

The Rams played the No. 2 ranked Duke Blue Devils three days before Christmas at Cameron Indoor Stadium in front of a crowd of more than 4,000. Senior Melissa Dennett recorded her fifth double-double of the season in the 99-52 losing effort.

Back at home Jan. 7, the women lost to the nation's No. 20 ranked team, the New Mexico Lobos, by a score of 73-57. Four CSU players scored double digits in the effort including seniors Melissa Dennett, Lindsay Thomas and Vanessa Espinoza as well as junior Molly Nohr.

The Rams achieved their first win on the road Dec. 31 against Texas-San Antonio, by a score of 63-59. Espinoza and sophomore Sarah Hunter each shot 3-of-4 from the three-point line to give the Rams a 20-point lead in the first half. The CSU defense forced the Roadrunners to shoot 23 percent from the floor.

The Rams followed the win Jan. 5, with a 68-65 home victory against San Diego State in their first MWC game. Despite a close game and a strong effort by the Aztecs, the Rams' Espinoza buried a three-pointer with 41 seconds remaining to seal the win.

"We have learned something new with each game. This team is still one huge experiment," coach Warden said. "We're ready for the opportunities we have coming up."