Alito against women

As the country examines the qualifications of Samuel Alito as a nominee to the Supreme Court, there is mounting evidence he would vote to undermine women's reproductive and privacy rights. His past writings reveal that he was in fact the architect of a legal and political framework designed to bring down the landmark 1973 U.S. Supreme Court decision in Roe v. Wade.

In a 1985 memo, Alito, then a Reagan administration attorney, outlined a political strategy to achieve the gutting and ultimately the overturning of Roe v. Wade. He was also the lone dissenter in Planned Parenthood of Southeastern Pennsylvania v. Casey when the case was before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. There he voted to uphold Pennsylvania's husband notification requirement, which would have required Pennsylvania women – even some battered women at risk of harm – to notify their husbands prior to obtaining an abortion. Justice O'Connor and a majority of her colleagues on the Supreme Court rejected Alito's views and ruled the provision unconstitutional and "repugnant to our present understanding of marriage and of the nature of the rights secured by the Constitution."

With his clear record of hostility toward women's rights, why would any women support Alito's nomination to the Supreme Court? American women want a Supreme Court justice who will be on their side, not someone who will bring a rigid ideology to the court and roll back their fundamental rights.

Please take a minute and contact Sen. Salazar and tell him you oppose Alito's nomination. The senator can be reached at http://salazar.senate.gov/contact/email.cfm or at (202) 224-5852.

Sincerely,

Daniel Kessler

public affairs

Planned Parenthood of the Rocky Mountains