Authors: Yasaman Sadeghipour The Pitt News U. Pittsburgh

(U-WIRE) PITTSBURGH – Bring out the pitchforks and torches. We must cleanse our society of any and all liberals — gasps of horror — and their negative, liberal influence on our children. These liberals have taken over our media and education system and are brainwashing our impressionable and innocent children.

These are the same unpatriotic heathens who want to teach our children about evolution in biology classes. And they have the audacity to criticize the war and our president at a time of war. We must have their heads now. March onward let us rid our society of this great evil.

There is a perception among conservatives in this country that there exists a liberal bias everywhere. The aforementioned liberal bias, of course, is most obvious in the education system and the super-duper liberal media.

I am not going to argue that some media outlets do not have a liberal slant. Of course, no matter how unbiased one may try to appear, it is at times inevitable that one's feelings will show up in their work. However, to argue that all media — movies, TV and news shows — are tools of liberal propaganda is simply not true. Let us, for example, take my very favorite TV commentator: Bill O'Reilly. Yes, Fox News' very own Bill O'Reilly who has reached a level of one-name fame matched only by Madonna and Cher.

O'Reilly is one of the people who believes the media is super liberal and out to indoctrinate every child out there. This is, of course, the same person who has rewritten his book, "The O'Reilly Factor," for children — I guess it's not indoctrination if you're a conservative. Added to the league of conservative news channels — not unlike the Fox News — and radio shows, like that of Rush Limbaugh's are the religious networks.

Ahhh, the religious networks. It is obviously for the purposes of liberal indoctrination when our friend Reverend Pat Robertson told the people of Dover, Pa., that they shouldn't turn to God next time they have a problem. Because, of course, they had the audacity to vote out the school board for forcing biology teachers to teach intelligent design. But then again, "Cornerstone Television" isn't really part of "the media."

Let me point out that I have no problem with people believing whatever they want to believe. My problem is, however, with people wasting my tax money to investigate the existence of such things — regardless of whether it is a liberal bias, a conservative bias or a whatever-the-hell-else type of bias that they hope to investigate.

Our very own, beloved University was the site of one such instance of foolishness a few weeks ago. This was when the state of Pennsylvania decided to hold hearings on whether there is a liberal bias in state-run universities. Really? Does the state not have more important things to do? Is our state so free of problems that we are scraping from the absolute bottom of the list?

I'm a little surprised. The last time I checked, tuitions were going up, minimum wage was staying the same and education and health care plans were being cut. I mean, if the state has extra money to spend on investigating whether there is a liberal bias in state run institutions, I would be more than happy to take some of it off their hands.

Do not misunderstand. I am not naive enough to argue that there are no liberals in institutions of higher education. But there is a difference between saying that some — or even all — of the professors are liberal and that affects how they grade students. All I have to say to that is if that was the case, then my QPA should have been a 4.0 — but it's not. So, the next time the government wants to investigate something, ask yourself if it's worth a few thousand dollars more in tuition and taxes.