Authors: Paul Baker

The Rams' best start since the 1970 season came to an end Wednesday night in Manahattan, Kan. at the hands of the Kansas State Wildcats. The Rams now look forward to getting back into the win column as they host struggling Pepperdine.

The Waves come into Moby with a record of 1-5 after they fell to UC Santa Barbara 65-56 on Wednesday. Pepperdine is a young team this year, with five freshmen and only two seniors on the roster. That makes them the youngest team in the West Coast Conference.

So far this year, the Waves are led by their guard play. Freshman Micheal Gerrity and senior Tashaan Forehan-Kelly are setting the offensive pace with 15.2 and 13.7 points per game respectively. Freshman forward Chris Oakes leads the team in rebounding alongside sophomore center Jarrad Henry, as they average 7.6 and 5.0 rebounds a game, respectively.

Pepperdine, which has traditionally been one of the highest scoring teams in the West Conference, has uncharacteristically struggled to score in the early part of the 2005-06 season. The Waves rank eighth in the WCC, averaging 60.2 points a contest. Pepperdine has posted a scoring average of at least 70 points a game in each of the last six seasons.

The Waves continue the tough start to their season as they have played four of their first six games on the road.

The Rams and Waves' last meeting was in the 2004-05 season when the two teams met in Malibu, with Pepperdine winning 78-63.

This year the Rams have five people that are averaging double figure numbers in points. Sophomore Jason Smith is at the front of the pack with 17.9 points per game, while sophomore guard Sean Morris is right behind him averaging 13.3 a contest and is shooting 40 percent from behind the arc.

Saturday night's game will be the last home game for the Rams before they head off to Hawaii to play Western Michigan in a holiday tournament. Game time is set for 7 p.m. and can be heard on 600 KCOL radio.