Authors: Trevor Edy

The 1971 CSU men's basketball team needs to make room for the 2005 Rams. CSU tied the school record for best start to a season Saturday evening with a 77-65 win over IUPUI at Moby Arena.

Currently 6-0, CSU was determined to protect their home court and get revenge on the Jaguars that beat the Rams last season.

The Rams came out and dominated early, sparked by a 12-3 run midway through the first half of play.

"We had some energy, our intensity was very good at the start of the game," said CSU head coach Dale Layer.

Junior point guard Cory Lewis led the Rams in the first by scoring nine of his 13 points in the half. Lewis shot four of five from the field and ended the night with nine rebounds and five assists.

CSU went into the locker room with a 46-31 halftime lead, but let down on their intensity in the second.

"When you get a nice lead at half, typically you come out less emotional," Layer said.

The Rams shot 62 percent from the field in the first half, but dropped to 56 percent for the game by the time a mediocre second half ended. Despite the less-dominant play, the Rams kept their perfect season intact.

"We have to make sure to blow teams out when we get the chance," said sophomore guard Sean Morris.

Reminiscent of the last time these two teams met, Jaguar forward Brandon Cole scored 26 points for IUPUI, shooting six of 10 from behind the arc. Cole had 23 points in their last meeting.

"You can't let an explosive team like the Jaguars get open looks," Layer said.

However, the CSU defense proved to be too much for the smaller IUPUI line-up. The Rams out-rebounded the Jags 35 to 24 and outscored them in the paint 28 to 14.

Sophomore forward Jason Smith, who fouled out late in the second half on a questionable call, put in 14 points, eight rebounds and three blocks for the home team.

The ball was spread through the lineup; four Rams were in double figures in scoring and all but one had at least a bucket in the contest. As a team they recorded 17 assists.

Freshman guard Stephan Gilling connected on all his four attempts from three-point land and ended the night with 12 points in his first career start.

"Stephan can shoot, that's why we recruited him," Layer said of the 6'2'' guard from California.

Sophomore sharpshooter Sean Morris led the Rams in scoring for the second time this season with 15.

Layer said free throws were the difference late in the game for CSU, as they shot 87 percent from the charity stripe, sinking 20 of 23 attempts.

Coming up, CSU looks to stand alone at the top of the record book. They travel to Manhattan, Kan. to play Kansas State Wednesday night.

CSU

Points         Rebounds     Assists        Blocks

F Jason Smith          14 (6-9)                  8               1             3

F Michael Harrison       4   (1-4)              4               2             2

G Cory Lewis               13 (4-5)              9              5              0

G Micheal Morris         8 (1-2)                 4              3              0

G Stephan Gilling        12 (4-4)                1              0             0

G Sean Morris              15 (5-15)              1             3              0

IUPUI

F Brandon Cole      26 (8-14)     5         4         0

G Matt Burks          12 (4-15)     2         0         0

CSU                  IUPUI

Score                    77                       65

Field Goals     59.8 percent (24-44)    37.5 percent (21-56)

3-point           46.7 percent (7-15)       47.8 percent (11-23)

Free Throw     87 percent (20-23)        66.7 percent (12-18)

Turnovers                    18                  12

Blocks                            6                   1

Points in the paint           28                  14

Bench points                   26                  3

Fast break points              10                  8