The most fundamental question I must ask Miss Ellis is what exactly constitutes a "normal" marriage? Throughout history, marriage has been a constantly evolving institution practiced in many different ways all over the world. Primarily, marriage has been used as an economic and social tool through which families hope to achieve upward social mobility and prosperity for future generations. However, various cultures have different approaches and norms when it comes to marriage. According to the Old Testament, the ancient Hebrews were commonly involved in polygamous relationships. In Egypt, under Cleopatra's Ptolemaic Dynasty, brother-sister marriage was used as tribute to the gods Osiris and Isis. Although these might seem like unorthodox or "abnormal" practices to a modern American, to the cultures in which such activities are common, it is perfectly "normal."

Marriage is different depending on when and where you go.

My response to you, Miss Ellis, is this: Your version of normal is not the same as everyone else's. Simply because you are obviously Christian and want to adhere to their traditions does not mean everyone else should have to. I'm sure you would not enjoy being forced to participate in polygamy, so why should others be forced to participate in your practices? Each person should determine his own standard of "normal" and his own definition of marriage. Imposition of moral definitions is not respectful of the diversity and freedom that Americans so greatly cherish.

It is when people are not allowed to freely express themselves that an open society becomes a tyranny of the majority.

Laura Robinson

senior

political science and history major