Rams tie record in win

Authors: Trevor Edy

The 2005 CSU men’s basketball team will go into the record books after a Saturday evening 77-65 win against the IUPUI Jaguars. The Rams are currently 6-0, matching the best start in school history.

CSU came out on all cylinders in the first half anchored by sophomore guard Sean Morris’ ten points. The Rams as a team, shot 62 percent from the field and out rebounded the Jags by ten in the first half.

Junior Corey Lewis shot 4 for 4 in the half, and ended with 13 points nine boards and five assists.

CSU went into the locking room at halftime with a 46-31 lead, but lacked the intensity when they came out for the second. They shot 46 percent while allowing IUIPUI to shoot 5 for 10 from beyond the arc in an attempt to comeback on the home team.

Forward Brandon Cole put in 26 points on 8 for 14 shooting for the IUPUI Jaguars. Cole kept the Jags in it with his three point shooting late in game, converting on six of his ten attempts.

Despite the slow second half, CSU held on for the win. Free throws down the stretch sealed the deal for undefeated CSU team. The Rams shot 87 percent, sinking 20 of 23 free throw attempts in the winning effort.

The Rams will have a few days off before they can make history, when they travel to Kansas State University on Wednesday

CSU

FG: 25-44 56.8%

3-point: 7-15 46.7%

Assists: 17

Turnovers: 18

Points              Rebounds        Assists

Jason Smith                             14                    8                      1

Michael Harrison                    4                      4                      2

Cory Lewis                             13                    9                      5

Michael Morris                       8                      4                      3

Stephan Gilling                       12                    1                      0