Rams win thriller at Moby

Authors: Stacey Zynen

With a crowd of over 2,000 cheering fans, the CSU Rams improved their season record to 4-1 by beating the CU Buffaloes with a score of 86-83. The Rams have lost the last three games against the Buffs and came into this game determined to end the streak there.

"I barely coached that game; it was owned and run by the players. They ran the show tonight," said head coach Jen Warden.

The Rams took an early lead but lost it before the end of the first half. Forward Lindsay Thomas came in from halftime and scored a field goal early to tie the game up in the first minute. The Rams took the lead after a three point shot from senior Vanessa Espinoza and kept it until the end of the game.

Espinoza was one point shy of her career high with 23 points, including three shots from the three point line and 6-for-7 shooting from the free throw line.

"This game was huge. We were sick of getting beat by CU and tonight we said 'no more'," Espinoza said.

Senior forward Melissa Dennett and sophomore guard Sara Hunter both contributed 17 points to the final score. Hunter shot perfect from the free throw line, and added three shots from beyond the arc early in the game.

"I could feel that we were ready for this game, we knew it before we even started playing," Dennett said.

Both teams played aggressive, man-to-man defense the entire game and had over 20 fouls called on each. Nine of CSU's final 13 points came from the stripe.

The Buffs were lead by guard Whitney Law who scored 22 points and Jackie McFarland who added 19 points. They had four players score double digits, but couldn't out muscle the Rams in end.

Marilyn Moulton and Lindsay Thomas added 10 points each for the Rams. Moulton also grabbed six rebounds, tying Dennett for the game-high.

"I came out tonight and played my dream," Moulton said, "I've never felt so great after a game."