Authors: Brett Okamoto

CSU Ram basketball fans had plenty to be thankful for over the exciting Fall Break.

The Rams, trying to redeem themselves after a disappointing season last year, are off to a terrific 6-0 start.

In front of 5,868 fans at Moby Arena Nov. 21, the Rams put on the most memorable fourth quarter comeback in recent memory, beating the University of Colorado Buffaloes 83-82.

A smoking Sean Morris had to be put on ice after a 34-point performance, in which he hit a school-record nine three pointers. The Verizon spokesman is not that dialed in.

"This is what college basketball is all about," said Morris after the win inspired an all-out mobbing of the players by student fans.

Two days later the Rams, still exhausted from their emotional win, were at it again as they never trailed in a 79-62 win over North Dakota State. Jason Smith, in his last year's Rookie of the Year form, recorded 20 points on his way to a double-double.

Despite the convincing win, the Rams didn't take full advantage of their obviously outmatched opponents.

"We were sluggish, we were tired. It felt like we were running in mud all night," said coach Dale Layer in a post-game interview.

CSU would have to improve their performance in their contest against Denver University in the Colorado Classic Saturday night, hosted by the Pepsi Center.

Showing resilience once again, the Rams rallied to erase a seven-point deficit and shake off the Pioneers 64-58. Smith tallied his second double-double in as many attempts, scoring 22 points and grabbing 13 rebounds.

Most impressive was perhaps the Rams' ability to stay even with DU's 6'11'' inside threat Yemi Nicholson, who was the main reason the Pioneers were able to enjoy the lead throughout the game. In a battle between the giants however, it was the seven-foot Smith and his Rams who came out on top.

"It was a really fun game, but he probably had more fun because he won," Nicholson told the Denver Post, referring to the battle with Smith.

The Rams have all but conquered the state of Colorado by beating out CU, UNC and DU. They'll try to finish the job against the Air Force Academy Falcons in February.

If the Rams season keeps going like it is, they'll be looking to be the best team in the conference, not just the state.