Authors: Caroline Welch

Business Minor Information Sessions:

Today at 10 a.m.

Tuesday at 9:30 a.m.

Wednesday at 9 a.m.

Thursday at 2 p.m.

** All meetings take place in 119 Rockwell Hall

Maybe it is considered small business, or perhaps minor business.

CSU's College of Business recently approved a 24-credit business administration minor to begin in fall 2006.

The minor is available to all students, with one exception: students who are already business majors.

"There are no GPA requirements," said Mike Jaramillo, director of student services for the College of Business. "There are no other requirements except being a warm body and filling out a white sheet."

The white sheet is a survey asking students about classes they took and what summer classes they plan to register for. The sheet can only be obtained at a number of meetings offered through the end of this week and can be turned in at the same meeting or to 178 Rockwell Hall.

With most classes already offered, the business school will add one class in fall 2006 to complete the minor program.

While the new class, BG405, Current Topics in Business, will only be offered in the fall, students planning to graduate in spring or summer 2006 can earn the minor by substituting BD400, a class the college already offers.

"We are trying to be flexible, but also maintain the integrity of the program," Jaramillo said. "After summer we will no longer accept BD400 for BG405."

With the exception of BG405, all minor classes will be available over the summer, which means a student could complete the minor before fall 2006, Jaramillo said, but it would be tricky.

Jaramillo, however, cautions that students cannot use the minor to gain access to the major, which has higher requirements than other majors.

"The minor is not a backdoor into the College of Business," Jaramillo said.

Students who decide to switch from a business minor to a business major can only take six of what the college calls "05 classes" with them. The "05 classes," or those ending in "05," like BK305, are basic requirements for both the major and the minor.

Because there are no requirements to get in to the minor, but high requirements to declare the major, students switching from the minor to the major must retake all classes beyond the six they are allowed.

As a business minor, students have access to a variety of tools, currently only offered to business majors such as: an outlook e-mail account, the Rockwell Hall computer labs and laptop checkout.

Except for lab benefits, business majors and business minors won't share anything. Classes required for the major are different than classes required for the minor, Jaramillo said, so class size and registration difficulties will not increase.

The classes already offered for the minor are requirements of other majors like construction management, agricultural business, restaurant and resort management and public relations.

Heidi Dixon, junior recreation and tourism major, registered for the minor last week and said it will benefit her tremendously.

"I am already taking these classes for my major," said Dixon, who wants to manage a resort. "So what's a few more classes for the minor, which is a pre-requisite for my masters degree in business?"

Laurie Craig, key adviser for technical journalism, said the new minor will be an added bonus for her students.

"It is an excellent fit for journalism students, especially those in public relations or specialized communications," Craig said. "Our students are really going to be happy to have this opportunity."