To the Editor,

In response to Megan Schulz's article, "The daily blame game we all play with each other," I would like to express my distress upon her mentioning obesity. Though I'm acutely aware that it was used an analogy, and a fallacious one at that, to articulate her indignation with those who don't take the blame for the consequences of their actions, it was still appallingly offensive, particularly after having read a previous article of hers entitled "Why are Americans fat?"

It is frighteningly clear that Ms. Schulz has a vendetta against the obese for something that frankly, many have no control over. Using myself as an example, I'm clinically obese, and using her arguments, it is entirely my fault. There's not a day that goes by that I don't get upset over they way I look. However, I can't lose weight. I have a hypothyroid, poor metabolism, eat a thousand less calories a day than a healthy person, work out three days a week and walk to my classes that are a mile and quarter away, yet I still am still clinically obese. But, according to Ms. Schulz, it is my fault, naturally.

The truth is not unconventional as she suggests, but instead is comprehensive. Regardless of blame, there still is truth, but what is lacking is understanding. The truth is that I'm fat. The blame is my hypothyroid. People see the truth when they look at me, but they only understand it when I explain to them that I work harder and eat less than most people.

Alison Baumgartner

Junior

political science