Authors: Joanna Thomas

CSU running back Kyle Bell, typically clad in green and gold, strut the catwalk Tuesday nothing but his boxers.

Bell was one 13 men auctioned at Sigma Phi Epsilon's Eighth Annual Bachelor Auction, which benefited Catholic Charities Northern and the Boys and Girls Club of Larimer County.

Eligible bachelors included CSU lacrosse players Nick Harper and Pete Jorkisch, and Sigma Phi Epsilon's president, David Smith. But Bell was the man of the night with the highest bid of $750.

Dominic Giarratano, senior journalism major who coordinated the event, said each bachelor sells around $350. The Bachelor Auction is Sigma Phi Epsilon's main philanthropy event of the year, he said. The sold-out event sold tickets for $64 per table of eight women.

"Last year we had eight open tables," Giarratano said. "This year we don't have enough room for our guys to sit."

Giarratano said last year's auction raised approximately $4,500. The event attracted about eight or nine sorority houses, but he said there were several other women present, independent of Greek life. Women in the crowd encouraged bachelors to strip down, and no bachelor was bid on without leaving the stage with some article of clothing missing.

"For people who haven't been here, this night is out of control," Giarratano said.

Kate Walker, head of emergency services at Catholic Charities Northern, attended the event for the first time and was encouraged by how a fun event could raise money for a good cause.

"(The event) helps us raise funds so we can help support community members in emergency needs," Walker said.

Catholic Charities Northern supports the community in several ways, she said. The charity provides prescription drugs for people who don't have health insurance and financial aid for people who need help paying utility bills.

"Your donation goes out into the community and helps bring us together as a community," Walker said.

Nikole Kerr, office coordinator for the Boys and Girls Club of Larimer County said events like these helps keep the club going.

"We don't have a lot of outside organizations that help us so it's great," Kerr said.

She said the Boys and Girls club mainly functions on private donations and independent fundraisers. The Boys and Girls club serves youth ages 6 to 18. She said fundraisers help keep membership costs low so they can continue to serve the community.

Giarratano said the Bachelor Auction raised a grand total of $7,500 including all ticket and raffle sales.

Both Giarratano and Smith said they were encouraged to see so many women attend and have such an incredible outcome.

"It's stuff like this that makes me smile every single day," Smith said.