Authors: Trevor Edy, Paul Baker

Last Game: Win over Regis University 87-51

Next Game: 7 p.m., Thursday, Nov. 10 vs. CSU-Pueblo

The CSU Rams basketball team began their 2005 campaign on the right foot Monday night, defeating Regis University 87-51 in the first of their two preseason games.

Junior forward Michael Harrison led the Rams with a 25-point performance along with seven rebounds. Harrison shot 12 of 15 from the floor.

"We had some first game jitters, but it's early in the year and it will take a while to get it together," Harrison said.

Head coach Dale Layer and the new Rams team plagued the Rangers with a full court trap and zone defense for much of the game, creating 17 Regis turnovers.

Sophomore forward Jason Smith added 12 points, seven rebounds and five blocks. The Rams got up early with an 18-9 edge midway through the first half and kept the momentum going throughout the game.

Smith led the Rams in the intensity department with two dunks through traffic as well as some key blocks.

CSU connected on six of their 17 tries from beyond the arc with sophomore guard Sean Morris sinking two.

Having a new athletic team helped the Rams run a quicker offense. CSU scored eleven fast-break points on the night and shot an impressive 63 percent from the field.

"I would much rather get looks at the basket than run a slower offense," Layer said.

Junior transfer Cory Lewis from Dodge City Community College in Louisiana ran the offense just as Layer would like to see out of his point guard.

"Coach brought me here to run the team and lead the team," Lewis said. "Whatever I have to do, I will."

Lewis ended the game with eight assists and nine points converting on all of his attempts from the field.

"I look to set up my players first, because once they start going the game is easy," Lewis said.

The Regis Rangers were led by senior forward Slade Bigelow with 12 points and eight rebounds. However, the Rams' zone defense proved to be too much for the Rangers offense, which shot just 32 percent from the floor.

Rams junior forward Freddy Robinson looked good adding nine points in 19 minutes. Robinson saw his first game action since 2003. He sat out all of last season due to injury.

The Rams are back at it again at 7 p.m. Thursday night in Moby arena against Colorado State University-Pueblo.