Rams denied on ’05

Authors: Nick Piburn

Rushing No Yds TD Avg.

Nnamdi Ohaeri 7 45 0 6.4

Robert Merrill 16 94 0 5.9

Passing Att.-Comp.-Int. Yds TD

Justin Holland 38-22-4 194 0

Jeff Ballard 25-13-0 160 1

Receiving No Yds TD

David Anderson 7 96 0

Quentil Harmon 3 28 0

Three-Week Look

Last Week: Loss to TCU 33-6 in Fort Worth

This Week: CSU vs. SDSU at Hughes Stadium

Next Week: CSU at UNLV in Las Vegas

Around the MWC

Wyoming 13

Utah 43

BYU 55

UNLV 14

Army 27

Air Force 24

For the fifth straight game, the Rams were dominated in the first quarter against TCU Saturday night.

In a championship-type game that was never close, the TCU Horned Frogs (9-1 overall, 7-0 in Mountain West Conference) locked up their first MWC Championship with a 33-6 victory. An audience 36,284 strong was there to see TCU win their first outright conference title since claiming the Southwest Conference in 1958.

While CSU's defense was overmatched all night by the TCU running game, it was the offense that gave the Rams (5-4, 4-2) no chance to win.

The Rams could muster just 253 yards of total offense on 69 plays, while the Horned Frogs had 401 total yards. TCU dominated in all facets of the game.

"We knew that we would have to play very, very well (to win this game)," said head coach Sonny Lubick. "Against a team like that, there's no chance to even get a first half comeback. I give a lot of credit to TCU, they're talented all over."

TCU came into the contest boasting a plus-16 turnover margin, the best in the country. That number was increased to plus-19 Saturday, as Rams senior quarterback Justin Holland threw four interceptions. The Rams recovered one TCU fumble. With junior safety Eric Buchanan's fourth quarter pick on Holland, the Horned Frogs now have 23 interceptions by 10 different players this season.

"They came out playing hard and playing aggressive, and we didn't," Holland said. "I reverted back to last year's form. I haven't played that bad since USC."

The Horned Frogs' pass rush was a huge problem for the Rams. TCU sacked Holland five times for a total loss of 44 yards, including a safety.

"They're every bit as good as Minnesota or CU," Holland said. "They got to me a lot more than Minnesota or CU did; those teams never touched me in the pocket. I think that's their biggest strength, being able to get pressure with their front four."

The Horned Frogs showed why they're one of the top 20 teams in the nation right away. On the opening possession of the game they ran the ball on five of nine plays, which ended in junior quarterback Jeff Ballard scoring on a 3-yard run.

"(Starting slow) is a problem for us," said sophomore defensive end Jesse Nading. "I think any time you can get away with it, it's like you need to fix it. After tonight it's definitely something you need to address."

Once TCU jumped ahead, they never looked back as the Rams weren't able to find the end zone once all night. It was the first time the Rams were unable to score a touchdown in a game this season.

Despite the loss, the Rams still have a lot to play for in the final two games

If the Rams win they will hold second place in the MWC.

"We still have a bowl to play for," Nading said. "We got to regroup and get focused. Hopefully we'll have a nice crowd at Hughes and come out and get a victory."