Tuition hikes for what?

As a journalism major, I see it as my right and my responsibility to not only question authority, but to also raise questions when the powers that be aren't running the show as smoothly as they should be. Registration for Spring 2006 is upon us, and there are some problems confronting us as students, and I have some questions for the powers that be: Wasn't my tuition just raised 15 percent? Well, I can answer that one, yes it was. Just to clarify, I am paying in the neighborhood of $3,000 a semester, just for tuition.

I don't know about everyone else but that is a heck of a lot of money to me, especially when a good chunk of that is being paid by loans. One could say that I have an implied contract with CSU. I pay them a large sum of money twice a year, and I expect an education in return. Everything seems OK so far. But it's not.

My problem lies with class availability. I have yet to register, and nearly all the classes that I need to continue my education are already full. I want to know why.

There are certain classes that I must take this semester to follow the pre-determined sequence that will get me to the elusive date of graduation. I have been accepted and the university knows my major – So why are the courses not made available? I am guessing the answer would be something along the lines of budget restraints. Well let's remember the recent tuition hikes, what were those for? I suggest to the university that if they cannot support the growing number of students admitted to the college then don't admit so many. We as students are paying for a service, a specific service, such as a degree in a certain area. Is it really so much to expect to get what I pay for? I am paying for a college education, for God's sake let me get one.

Monica Gouty

Junior, broadcast journalism