Authors: Katie Kelley

Lucile's

400 South Meldrum

(970) 224-5464

Hours:

Monday to Friday

7 a.m. – 2 p.m.

Saturday to Sunday

8 a.m. – 2 p.m.

White trim acts as a canvas for the canary yellow exterior and interior of this cozy cottage resembling a homely cafe rather than the authentic Creole eatery that it is. The aroma of the French Roast and Chicory coffee brewing inside adds to the warmth exuding from the restaurant. Decadent walls of beads, masks and posters or photos of New Orleans culture convey the relaxed ambience found here.

"The atmosphere is good – kind of homelike," said Megan Schiel, a server at Lucile's who's worked at the restaurant for almost a year. "We're making it look like a home – it's not too pretentious -you can come in, sit down and be comfortable and feel like you're at home."

Part of the appeal of Lucile's is not only the incredible menu of southern home cooked meals but also the eclectic escapist quality that the restaurant offers. Outside, the streets are alive buzzing busily with traffic yet inside Cajun, Creole and Bluegrass music serenade customers over the speakers creating a reposed atmosphere.

With 10 upfront staff employees and seven in the back kitchen, only the freshest food and friendliest service are provided.

The food is decadent but the price is reasonable at this New Orleans-style breakfast and lunch nook.

"We have a really great reputation for good food," Schiel said. "Our customer service is probably one of the best things about this place – it keeps people coming back."

Some of the most popular items on the breakfast menu including the Eggs Pontchartrain (pan-fried mountain trout topped with poached eggs, bearnaise sauce and served with fried potatoes or grits and the ever-famous buttermilk biscuits made from scratch), Beignets (a New Orleans style donut of fried dough served with powdered sugar), Hank's Eggs (fried potatoes, onions, peppers, cheddar cheese, scrambled eggs, topped by tomato and avocado and served with a buttermilk biscuit) and the Farmer's Eggs, which is similar to Hank's Eggs except it is served with sausage as well.

For those with a breakfast sweet tooth, definitely try the Pan Perdu, which is French toast – New Orleans style – with a thick buttery caramel syrup and also served with fresh fruit, one egg cooked based upon personal preference and a link of Louisiana sausage that has just the kick of spice to jolt the morning into gear.

Coffee lovers should try out the chicory coffee that is made with the original French Roast blend and chicory root.

"Chicory is a root that they started to use to help make the coffee taste stronger back during the Civil War because they didn't have enough coffee to go around," Schiel said. "So they supplemented chicory into it to make it taste stronger – it doesn't actually have more caffeine it just makes it taste good."

For lunch, check out the Crawfish Etouffee (crawfish tails smothered with a spicy brown sauce over rice) and the Red Beans and Rice, which is a traditional Southern meals also called the "Wash Day" lunch; this is served with andouille sausage. If rumors of Cajun spiciness scare you away, don't be fooled as most of the dishes aren't that spicy but are made spicy by adding Lucile's homemade hot sauce.

"I think that's really where the spice comes from – it's our hot sauce," said Schiel.

But if it's spice you crave, try the Eggs New Orleans made with a spicy Creole sauce served over fried eggplant and includes buttermilk biscuit, grits or potatoes and poached eggs with hollandaise sauce or the Louisiana sausage.

Whether stopping by for a quick bite to eat or a lengthy meal, you'll find what your looking for at this restaurant, which is quite possibly the best breakfast cuisine served here in Fort Collins.

"If you want to try something new and original then it's a good place to come," Schiel said.