To the Editor

I read with great interest the article about Referenda C and D opponent Mel Hilgenberg. If you listen to Mr. Hilgenberg, CSU students do not have the right to be educated. Apparently, he would prefer a world of incompetent doctors and teachers because the prospective doctors and teachers at CSU did not have the right to an adequate education. I especially appreciated his humorous comment that psychology, sociology and political science could easily be cut as they are "junk" sciences. I'm sure the countless people whose lives have been improved by a caring, knowledgeable counselor or social worker would beg to differ! As a student, I urge you to cote yes on Referenda C and D and fight for your education. The world is going to need people like you.

Jennifer Bernham

Graduate student

Agricultural sciences

To the Editor

Uncategorized  Add comments

I have a few points members of the CSU community need to remember before making "asinine" and "insane" judgments on the current state of affairs in Washington and Iraq.

One: You are not the president of the United States. You are (most likely) a student or professor. You most likely have no idea what intelligence reports have gathered on terrorist activities home and abroad, except what you learn on CNN. Thus, you are not capable of making judgments concerning troop deployment and wars.

Two: In response to those who think soldiers/marines, etc. are in Iraq against their will: enlistment and commissions are made by choice. Seeing as how there hasn't been a draft since 1975, it's safe to say everyone in Iraq is there by choice. The military is not a country club: you join knowing your job could kill you, and you're not supposed to let that stop you from doing that job.

Three: There are Army and Air Force ROTC cadets at this university. I can't imagine them taking too kindly to the anti-military sentiment going around. As a community that strives on being sensitive to the choices of others, we need to respect them and thank them for their sacrifice. Thanks, guys!

Four: President Bush is not the devil. He is not insane. He was soundly chosen for office both times (yes, including 2000). Democracy is not about what YOU want, it is about what WE, the entire people of the USA want. Bush's election in 2000 was constitutionally sound. Furthermore, Bush is making good on the promises he made Sept. 11. 2001. The fact that the majority of Al-Qaeda's leadership, and millions of their dollars are now frozen assets, tells me he took it serious when he promised to track them down. As of now, bin Ladin is cut off from communications in a monetarily starving organization (if he's not dead).

Five: The removal of terrorism worldwide can only be successful if you act to remove it. You cannot have terrorists lay down arms by means of diplomacy or inaction.

P.S. The Cold War Era called. It wants its Orwellian fears and conspiracy theories back.

Nicholas J Winkler

Junior

Spanish