Border War: Round 2, Ding!

Authors: Paul Baker

Last match: Lost to TCU in five games

Tonight: Wyoming at 7 p.m. in Laramie

Up Next: UNLV at Moby Arena, Nov. 4

The Rams look to complete their four-game road trip tonight as they take on Wyoming in the second installment of the volleyball Border War.

CSU is currently on a two-game losing streak after dropping a five-game decision to TCU on Tuesday. This is the first time since CSU joined the Mountain West Conference that the Rams have lost consecutive matches on the road.

"We need to try to focus on what we're going to do tonight against Wyoming," head coach Tom Hilbert said. "If we concern ourselves with what happened the last two matches, we'll be in trouble."

The last time these two teams met was in late September where the Rams won a thriller in five games. This time it will be a little different. CSU knows how Wyoming is going to run their offense and the Cowgirls know who the Rams are going to get the ball to.

"Wyoming is a great team and they're going to play us very hard," senior outside hitter Tess Rogers said. "We need to go out there and have confidence in ourselves. That is how we will come out on top."

The Cowgirls are currently led by outside hitter Rachel Smith who is averaging 3.63 kills per game, and middle blocker Jessie Carlson who leads the team in blocks with 1.05 per game.

Wyoming is 2-6 in conference right now with an overall record of 7-12. They are currently on a two-match winning streak after wins over Air Force and New Mexico. Although the Cowgirls are only 1-7 at home this year, the Rams should expect a battle come game time.

"We all are pretty hungry to win right now, not so much because we have lost the last two, but because it's Wyoming," junior Katherine Whitney said.

The Rams are still led by their senior core, but sophomore right side hitter

Tonya Mokelki and freshman middle blocker Mekana Barnes have been seeing more action.

Mokelki has posted 2.45 kills per game, while Barnes has notched 2.18 kills a game along with the 1.14 blocks a game that she contributes.

The Rams are now at 5-3 in MWC play and are tied for third with UNLV.