Authors: Katie Kelley

Star of India

4600 South Mason

970-206-9306

Star of India

Monday to Sunday

Lunch:

11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

Dinner:

5 p.m. to 10 p.m.

Lunch Special:

Monday to Sunday

11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

All You Can Eat Buffet

$6.95

Dinner Specials:

Monday and Wednesday evenings

5 p.m. to 10 p.m.

All You Can Eat Dinner Buffet

$10.99

Offering some of the best Indian cuisine in Fort Collins, The Star of India truly is the star of this authentic Northern Indian cuisine.

Open seven days a week, this restaurant is a great place to dine with friends in a truly exotic experience for the taste buds and with more than 100 items to choose from on their menu, it won't be difficult to find something delectable to enjoy.

The Star of India opened almost 10 years ago and was created due to the lack of authentic Indian cuisine offered in Fort Collins.

"I used to go to Denver," said Inam Sheikh, owner and operator of The Star of India. "There were no good Indian restaurants in the town. So I thought I'd start an Indian restaurant."

Sheikh offers food that is considered to be from the Northern part of India as well as Pakistani food.

According to Sheikh, the most popular items on the menu are the Tandoori cooked items. Tandoori is a style of cooking that involves approximately four feet deep clay ovens regulated at a constant 800 degrees. Cooking food this way not only adds a distinct smoky flavor to the food but also is a very healthy way to prepare a meal.

"Everything in Tandoori is very healthy," Sheikh said. "All the fat and oil there is gone."

Most of the dishes served here use spices such as fresh ginger, garlic, onion, cumin seed, cardamon, paprika, clove and coriander. This array of spices infuses the dishes with flavor.

For vegetarians looking for an alternative, Star of India offers many dishes. In 2001 the restaurant was voted Best Vegetarian from the Taste of Fort Collins' annual awards.

Fort Collins resident Karen Thomas agrees the vegetarian menu is good.

"It has more to offer," said Thomas, whose favorite dish is the cabbage and peas.

During the lunch buffet several dishes are served with mild to medium spiced seasoning including the most popular Tandoori dishes. At dinner, the spiciness of the food is up to the customer.

Some of the most popular dishes served are the Tandoori Shrimp (jumbo shrimp cooked in the Tandoor oven with spices), Vegetable Pakora (spinach, potatoes and onion combined into fritters and dipped in chick pea flour batter), Kofta Curry (beef meatballs with curry sauce), as well as a personal favorite, the Chicken Tikka Masala (chicken breast baked in the Tandoor oven and cooked with the masala curry sauce), which is a sweet, creamy dish that deserves seconds.

Don't leave without trying the Mango Lassi, also called a mango milkshake – it is made with fresh mangos and homemade yogurt blended together for an out of this world smoothie that is impossible not to enjoy.

With so many items on the menu, the only way to truly experience them is to bring some friends and sample several different dishes in this relaxing environment. Don't worry about overeating – most of the food is prepared fresh and healthy from the skilled chefs.

"It's all healthy, fresh – nothing is from the freezer," Sheikh said. "Everything is made from scratch; it's very healthy."