According to a Collegian story Oct. 20, "Reports of rape in Fort Collins top Colorado, most of nation," the FBI recently released data showing rape occurs at a greater rate in Fort Collins than anywhere in Colorado and much of the nation.

The answer to reducing such alcohol-related crimes is reducing the amount of drinking in college towns like Fort Collins. Efforts by the university have continuously failed to accomplish this, but an innovative approach brought forth and approved by CSU students would likely help achieve this goal. Unfortunately, this potential solution fell on deaf ears of a dangerously stubborn administration.

Students voted in favor of a referendum last spring requesting the school's policies simply acknowledge marijuana is safer than alcohol and stop pushing students toward using the more harmful drug. The administration ignored it.

There is no evidence marijuana is associated with sexual assault, and it has been found to reduce the likelihood of such aggressive and violent behavior. Furthermore, it has been shown not to lead to other serious problems on college campuses, like fighting, rioting, and overdose deaths, all of which have recently marred college life at Colorado's universities.

Why does CSU's administration refuse to consider this potential solution? As a spokesperson for the university pointed out last semester, [CSU is] bound in every sense to uphold Colorado state law morally, ethically and legally.

Given CSU's mission to educate, graduate and protect the safety of its students, it's time the administration cuts its losses and adopts an honest policy reflecting the facts. It should stop reinforcing misguided laws prohibiting marijuana and fuel serious alcohol-related problems in college towns.

Mason Tvert, executive director of Safer Alternative For Enjoyable Recreation (SAFER)