Fight to register is on

Authors: Melissa Edwards

RAMweb times out after four minutes of inactivity

RAMweb only allows students to view courses twice per session

Courses with labs often require two separate numerical entries

Senior registration begins today

Junior registration begins on Friday

Sophomore registration begins on Friday, Nov. 4

Freshmen registration begins on Friday, Nov. 11

New student registration begins on Monday, Nov. 21

With half of the fall semester already over, students are rushing to computers throughout campus and taking part in the fight against RAMweb to register for spring courses. The war with RAMweb will always be ongoing, but there are ways to alleviate the stress of registration.

Advising is the most important step in the registration process, said Gaye Golter DiGregorio , the associate director of the Center for Advising and Student Achievement (CASA).

"Advising is helpful in terms of getting more information about courses and scheduling," she said.

DiGregorio also said one of the most common problems with registration is students not being prepared. Many students wait too long to schedule an advising appointment and are unsure of which courses they should register for.

"Make appointments in advance. Course availability is always an issue, but if you use your advisor, you can get a different or a new perspective," she said.

CASA advises students who are either in the open-option or the open-option seeking program. Open-option is for those students who are not sure which course of study they would like to pursue, whereas the open-option seeking program is for those students who have decided on a course of study but have not yet met the requirements for acceptance into the specific department. Approximately one-third of freshmen are in one of the open-option programs and are advised through CASA.

Without an advising appointment, students will find it more difficult to register. During advising appointments, students are issued a Schedule Manager for Advising and Registration by Technology (SMART) form, which contains important information such as your college and major. The SMART form will also contain your advising code, which some departments require for registration on RAMweb.

Before going to an advising appointment, advisors recommend students make a list of potential courses rather than arriving empty-handed.

"It's the students' responsibility to know what courses they should be taking and when," said Laurie Howard , an academic advisor in the Civil Engineering Department. "Advisors can help with specific questions."

Howard also said students should come with a back-up plan because courses fill up fast and there is not a guarantee of getting every desired course.

"Any department that enforces prerequisites will have problems," she said.

Many CSU students who have dealt with the registration process know how difficult it can be to get into classes.

"Register as soon as you are allowed to and make sure to know all the classes you need," said Marley Hester , a sophomore biology major. "I get logged out a lot because of the time, but knowing the numbers to classes is easier so I can just type them in."

Course availability is often problematic, especially in lower-division courses that fill the All-University Core Curriculum. Many of these courses are electives, so upper-division students have an advantage of snagging a seat in theses courses. But freshmen and open-option students should not feel discouraged because they can choose their electives to help them focus on an area of study.

"Take advantage of your electives. They really can be beneficial to marketability in a specific area." DiGregorio said.

For those who have not yet registered, DiGregorio's best advice is to schedule and be ready for your advising appointment.

"When students come prepared with checklists and ideas (of potential courses), they are being better consumers of their education," she said.