I am not a "straight-edge" student. I do not drink, smoke or do drugs. There is also a blatant lack of promiscuous sexual relationships in my life, but I think that has more to do with who I am and less to do with my personal philosophy. I was taught that drugs and alcohol were bad, and having had a marijuana-smoking father and alcoholic stepfather (who, fortunately, has overcome his addiction) I saw the effects first hand. I knew I never wanted to take part in these activities. "Straight-edge" and the article highlighting the "straight-edge" group made them sound like whiny do-good God-lovers, and as an atheistic liberal Democrat, I can't have that image tainting my own.

The New York Times ran an article Oct. 16 titled, "As young adults drink to win, marketers join in." The article focused on beer pong, which I do believe is less of a sport than bowling, and the culture it has spawned. According to recent studies in the article, 50 to 80 percent of college students have played some sort of drinking game. More interesting to me, however, was the sexual aspect of drinking. According to the article, studies done at Indiana State University "…found that 44 percent of men who played said they did so to sexually manipulate other players. Twenty percent said they had done things after playing a drinking game that could be defined as sexual assault."

Yes, it all seems like good fun. And it always is, isn't it? It's always fun until someone vomits on your coat, or is sexually assaulted, or is found dead in a fraternity house.

I don't drink because these are things I never want to worry about.

I believe alcohol in moderation can be a good thing; if I didn't, the sherry in my cabinet would prove me a hypocrite. Kudos to the student who submitted the Benjamin Disraeli quote. To the guy who told CSU staff and students to get off his back about drinking… what kind of jerk are you? Please, drink for the rest of your life. I bet Samantha Spady and her family sure are happy she did.

Ryan D. Speaker

junior

history major