Border War shootout

Authors: Nick Piburn

When it's for The Boot it's never easy, nor is it pretty. For the second straight year the CSU Rams beat the Wyoming Cowboys in the annual Border War.

In front of 32,801 fans, the 12th largest crowd in Hughes Stadium history, the Rams came back from a four point halftime deficit to beat the Cowboys 39-31.

The Rams came out slow, down 10-0 after the first quarter, but turned it on offensively behind sophomore running back Kyle Bell and a career day from senior quarterback Justin Holland.

Holland threw an early interception but rebounded well. After the Cowboys went up 24-13 with :44 remaining in the first half on senior wide receiver Jovon Bouknight's second of three touchdown catches Holland led the Rams to a quick scoring drive.

With nine seconds left in the half Holland connected with sophomore receiver Luke Roberts on a 50-yard strike to cut the lead to 24-20.

"We needed (the touchdown) desperately, we were hoping for a field goal, but hey the touchdown's even better," said wide receiver Dave Anderson who went for 169 yards on six receptions and a touchdown.

After the Rams stopped the Cowboys on the opening drive of the second half Holland again led the Rams on a long drive.

On the 12th play of an 83-yard drive Holland hit h-back Kory Sperry for a five yard touchdown, the Rams would never look back. Holland finished the day going 20-37 for career high///s in yards with 419 and touchdowns with four.

The Rams were able to pull this game out despite big injuries to starters and faulty kicking. The Rams had to get through the Border War without senior linebacker Jahmal Hall, senior defensive end Terrance Carter and junior b-back Tristan Walker. Also senior place kicker Kevin Mark missed a 26 yard field goal and two extra points.

The Rams bend-but-don't-break defense was back at full force Saturday, allowing 467 yards of total offense but coming up with a season high five turnovers which led to 17 CSU points.

The Bell train got back on track Saturday with 123 yards on 35 carries. Another valuable player for the Rams was Anderson, who had his 14th career 100-yard receiving game, which is a CSU record. On the day Anderson had six receptions for 169 yards and a touchdown of 82 yards.