Home Sweet Hughes

Authors: Trevor Edy

There have been many games this season that the CSU Ram football team has needed to win. However, the most important game is coming up this Saturday against the University of Wyoming. This is a 'must-win' game for the Rams if they want to stay in the chase for the Mountain West Conference crown.

As the Rams come home for their seventh game of the season, they are currently trailing league leader TCU by one game in the standings. The Rams have to rebound after losing to a mediocre BYU squad to take down the Cowboys, especially since it is on our turf. CSU is 3-0 at home this year and have to make it 4-0, or else it could turn into another messy explanation for Sonny and his coaching staff. CSU needs to get past the injury to defensive end Delroy Parke, who is out indefinitely, Albert Bimper and Jahmal Hall, who are both questionable for Saturday's match-up, and get a 'W' over UW on Saturday.

Last week in Provo the Bell Train was halted by the surprisingly physical Cougar defense. The running has to be established so that Justin Holland and his arsenal of receivers can pick apart the Cowboy defense like we have seen them do.

The minds of the Rams have to be in the game to win it as well. They committed eight penalties at crucial times in their first game on the road since the second week of September. That should not be an issue, being that they are back at Hughes, but anything can happen.

CSU also needs to put pressure on senior quarterback Corey Bramlet, the supposed first team All-MWC pick in the preseason, to make mistakes as he did in the Cowboy's last two losses. Bramlet has shown that he can be forced into making mistakes when under pressure. The 6'4'' quarterback has thrown six interceptions in his last two games. The Rams have shown that they can put pressure on a quarterback, but need to cut down Bramlet's pocket time significantly to force those crucial turnovers.

Time of possession helped BYU beat the Rams by limiting their time with the ball. The Cougars held CSU to only 24 minutes of possession, while hogging it for 35 minutes. The Rams need to win the battle in ball control to keep Corey Bramlet and the rest of the Wyoming offense on the sidelines.

The bottom line is that CSU needs to win this game or they will just be battling for a second place finish in the conference. The Rams control their fate in the MWC, so it is only up to them to come out and play. Who wants to play for second place anyway?