A Bias on Tolerance

Recently the Collegian highlighted GLTB issues. Though part of it was informative, they neglected to present a balanced approach on this issue. In doing so, we see their liberal bias slant by only highlighting a single philosophy/perspective on this issue. In a truly diverse academic environment, we need to talk about a variety of perspectives and resources available to students in regard to this controversial issue.

When discussing GLTB issues, higher education takes a single liberal philosophy that is full embracement. If you choose not to, you are subjected to negative labeling such as homophobic, narrow minded or intolerant to name a few. These words are silencing tools to discourage any opposition or differing opinions. At times, those who claim tolerance for GLTB students often create an environment of oppression and intolerance for those who respectfully disagree. Since when did someone's cultural values (which may disagree with homosexuality) become intolerant?

We are also forgetting another part on the issue of GLTB and that is individuals with unwanted homosexual feelings. They are often told to overcome their internal homophobias and are misinformed that change is not possible. This to me illustrates little respect in hearing their needs. Change is possible.

There are thousands of individuals who have overcome homosexual feelings and have left the lifestyle. The choice to pursue this or not should be allowed up to the individual. The National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality (www.narth.com) is a professional institution that provides facts and information about this subject. Yet more often than not, this institution is rarely brought up in our academic/social discussions.

In bringing up NARTH, one might point out the APA's discouragement on reorientation. It is important to note that the APA has not issued a ban and that this view has come from the GLTB department within the APA. I bring up this point to highlight some of the biases that exist in our society. This is also true with CSU presenting discussion on this issue with a single perspective. This is not true diversity; rather this is selective diversity. We should strive to create a safe environment for all individuals, including those who may respectfully disagree with homosexuality.

Daniel Banuelos

CSU Alumni '05