Authors: Katie Kelley

524 W. Laurel Street

970-484-7755

inside of Laurel Street Station

Hours:

Monday – Friday

6:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Saturday – Sunday

7 a.m. to 2 p.m.

After opening the doors to the Laurel Street Station, attempting to escape the dreary downpour of rain outside, I was greeted with the melodic rhythm of a jazzy trumpet echoing from the door to my left.

Entering the restaurant conjured memories of a sophisticated Seattle cafe with the vast array of windows on my left revealing the bleakness of fall rain outside.

The aroma of fresh coffee teased my olfactory sense and after being seated, the taste of the French Vanilla coffee I ordered confirmed the delightful smell I encountered.

Cafe Bluebird has served Fort Collins for over 20 years and has kept the cozy ambience and great food through today.

"I think people come here because of our beautiful atmosphere, very friendly service and homemade meals," said Inky Evenson, manager at Cafe Bluebird, who has worked there for four years. "It's elegant without the upper class – you can take it both ways for an upscale meal in you Sunday best or in your pajamas – it doesn't matter."

The atmosphere becomes one of the most intriguing aspects of the cafe as a nice place to study or take friends for a cozy breakfast before classes. With only 22 tables accommodating a maximum of 80 people, it definitely develops the aura of a little nook.

This cafe entertains an array of individuals and offers some homemade meals that will put mom's old cooking to shame.

"We make everything fresh," Evenson said. "We have fair prices for how much food you get."

Some of the top favorites at the Bluebird include the Crepes Florentine (scrambled eggs, sauteed mushrooms and spinach all inside of two crepes glazed with homemade hollandaise sauce and a side of homemade wheat toast and home fries) and the Mandaberry waffles (malted waffles served with lemon cream cheese, strawberries, blueberries or mandarin oranges).

"We have some of the best hollandaise sauce in town," Evenson said.

The hollandaise sauce isn't the only thing this cafe is doing right. After ordering the Machaca skillet, offered as a special and not a permanent menu item, the explosion of the spicy jalapenos with a twist of cinnamon served on the chicken, scrambled eggs, home fries, pepper jack cheese and sauteed vegetables gave my taste buds a nice little kick to get the morning started right.

The skillets are so filling that a doggy bag is almost the end result of this delectable breakfast. Other skillets served include The Juarez, one of Evenson's favorites, (chorizo sausage, black beans, tortilla chips, salsa 'fresca' and a variety of cheeses), The New Orleans (salsa, variety of cheeses and Cajun infused chicken) and The Sonoran (flank steak, cheddar cheese, Monterey jack cheese, green chili sauce and corn salsa).

Cafe Bluebird offers more than just breakfast and they also offer an array of sandwiches, salads and soups from scratch.

"We make two soups each day from scratch," Evenson said. "We give our kitchen free range – we try to hire a qualified kitchen staff."

For under $10 you'll be able to order some fresh squeezed orange juice and a breakfast that will feed you through lunch. Or stop by for a warm cup of soup from scratch and a salad. Either way, you're sure to be pleased by the surroundings, service and savory food.