NBA dress code

Authors: Scott Bondy

It's about time. No more sunglasses while indoor, sleeveless shirts or bling worn over a player's clothes. Finally, professionals acting like professionals.

I'd love to see Allen Iverson trade in his "thug-wear" and stroll into the office (stadium) wearing an Armani suit. I'm tired of his shirts banging against his knees and his size 52 jeans grabbing his ankles. It's just not right. I have no problem with the actual style of dress, but merely the inappropriateness in a professional setting.

Of course bad-boy Iverson was one of the first to run his mouth in opposition of the new code. Instead of wasting his time, maybe he should place a call to Shaq or Dwayne Wade, guys that know how to dress.

I don't mean to just pick on him; there are plenty of other guys as well.

Take for instance Mavericks owner Mark Cuban. Jeans and a t-shirt are his get-up on a consistent basis. He looks more like a guy searching Yahoo at home than a guy who sold it for $2 billion.

Commissioner David Stern seems to be taking this matter seriously, saying (on ESPN.com), "If they really are going to have a problem, they will have to make a decision about how they want to spend their adult life in terms of playing in the NBA or not."

Wow! A commissioner with a backbone, who would've thought?

I guess Iverson can take his do-rag and get to steppin'.

But some players say it's only fair that if the league is going to require a dress code, then players should receive a clothing stipend. Are you kidding me, Marcus Camby? Camby reportedly told The Rocky Mountain News that he didn't think the players would follow the code unless there's a stipend. I guess a pair of slacks isn't in his $7 million budget (his salary for this season).

But a close look at the rules will show that this is not a serious issue. Players will not be required to wear suits or any extremely dressy clothing. Dress jeans are allowed, whatever those are.

It's hard to feel bad for a group of guys making ridiculous amounts of money to play a game. Basketball is their job. It should be treated like one. Dressing to impress is something they should be doing. I don't know anyone who has been impressed so far.

The league and its players will not be given the proper respect they deserve until they act and dress like professionals.

Lebron James gave his take on the situation, "Sometimes you feel lazy on a flight and you don't want to put (dress) clothes on," James said, according to si.com. "This is a job and we want to have fun, but it's a job and we should look like we're going to work."

You know the situation has gotten out of control when there needs to be a rule about sunglasses indoors.

Now we can all be thankful, casual Everydays are over for the NBA.

Scott Bondy is a senior psychology major. He is the Associate Managing Editor of sports and special sections.