Authors: Dominic Graziano

Roommate quarrels, incessant streaking and obviously staged drunken antics are all dreams one CSU student is close to fulfilling.

Robert Thomas, a sophomore technical journalism major, recently sent in an audition tape with the hope of being on MTV's "The Real World."

"I know he has been wanting to do this for a long time," said Holly Stollsteimer.

Stollsteimer, a junior apparel and merchandising major, is a friend of Thomas's who helped him with his audition tape.

The video included a Napoleon Dynamite tribute dance and a parody of the "confessional" booths found on "The Real World."

"He really didn't second guess it," Stollsteimer said. "He didn't think if he should do it, just how to make it memorable."

As luck would have it, the tape was memorable.

"I didn't think much of it," Thomas said. "But within two weeks they sent me an application by e-mail."

The application, which was "like 20 pages long," covered just about every question imaginable, Thomas said.

"I was up until 4 a.m. on a Friday morning finishing it," he said.

After faxing back the application, Thomas received an e-mail from the head of casting at Bunim/Murray, the company in charge of casting for "The Real World," that said he had to attend a casting call in Laramie the next week.

"They wanted me to bring up more pictures, and sit through a less formal interview," Thomas said.

According to the Bunim/Murray Web site, there are four stages to the casting process. Thomas is currently on stage three, which is a taped phone interview.

"I have to get grilled over the phone for 40 minutes," Thomas said. "And I have to look into a camera for the whole thing."

After the phone interview, 30 contestants are flown to L.A. for the final interview, after which the seven cast members are picked, according to the Bunim/Murray Web site.

"The Real World" is known for how open the cast members are, which is a good thing for Thomas.

"Rob does everything for shock value," Stollsteimer said. "He will definitely be the one to get the most air time."

"I think the [show's] concept is pretty great and it is pretty exciting to watch," Thomas said. "I just don't want them to make me out to look like a total ass…"