Authors: Skylar Rick

Staying in the same design as the hit television show "Trading Spaces," some lucky students get a chance to use their creativity to transform a dorm room Nov. 5, from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Two sets of roommates chosen through the application process will have 12 hours and $200 to redecorate each other's residence hall rooms.

To aid these students, each group will be paired with two interior design students to design changes.

"A week before the event the students will meet with the designers [of their own room] so the designers can get a sense of the style the students want," said Tonie Miyamoto, communications coordinator for Housing and Dining Services.

The designers will receive $200 two weeks before the event so they can prepare.

"The designers will get most of the materials and also do some of the construction [if any] happens beforehand," said Lacy Karpilo, graduate assistant in assignment, billing and resident education.

During the 12-hour span, the interior design students and the roommates will bring all the supplies into the room and reorganize it while Channel 11 films it.

The rooms in the competition can be any on campus with the exception of single rooms.

"We can't fit [the Channel 11 crew and designers] into a single dorm because it's too small," Karpilo said. "Otherwise, it's okay. We can have [something like] suite and a double. [The issue] was more about size than the type of room."

Another restriction to the switch is the limitations of resident guidelines for the residence hall rooms.

"The designers will have to go by the guidelines, like no painted rooms," Karpilo said. "They will have to find creative ways to put things on walls and think outside the box."

This concept is familiar to the interior design students, who are educated in different ways of altering rooms.

"[The students] create a focal point in space to draw the eye and forget about the size of the space," said interior design professor Stephanie Clemons.

In addition to focusing on size, designers will look at helping the students become more organized.

"The students [in the interior design program] were educated that the designs need to also function very well," Clemons said. "They need to handle the students needs and make sure they know the needs and solutions in preference of the clients."

Interior design students are taking these lessons to the application process when trying to get this job.

"We offered it to juniors and seniors who we thought had the skills to do this, and then the students responded that they were interested," Clemons said. "Then we interviewed them with their resume and their creative ideas with small spaces and limited budget."

Residents, like designers, will undergo an application process.

"The students sign up with two double rooms and apply at our Web site," Miyamoto said. "[In the application] they will say the top three reasons why it should be their room and there is a space at the end to talk about funny memories. This is so we get to know the personality of the team."

Applications are available at the Housing and Dining Services Web site but the registration deadline is Oct. 14.

Besides showing current students what can be done on a tight budget, this program will also be used to allure prospective students.

"We're going to do a movie on the Web. That way prospective students can see the exciting things we do on campus," Karpilo said.