Authors: Aaron Schoonmacher

There's a saying that goes, "There's always tomorrow." The CSU hockey team can vouch for that. The Rams showed inspired play on Sunday against Denver after a sloppy performance Saturday night.

"I wish we didn't have to have Saturday night in order to show up on Sunday," said Rams head coach Joe Sharrock.

But Saturday did happen for CSU. The season opened against DU with a pitiful defensive effort, as the Pioneers pulled off the 6-3 win.

"Six goals the first night was ridiculous," said forward Jarred Hiller. "As a team we just had too many penalties and turnovers, especially in the defensive zone."

But like all good teams, they were able to bounce back despite the struggles.

"It was a real wake up call," said team president Jordan Stover. "A real eye opener for al of us."

Sophomore Brian Minor was in net for the Rams on Sunday in Denver as CSU looked to even the weekend. While he built his impenetrable wall, the scoring was at a premium.

Senior forward Ryan Lewis posted a hat trick and line-mate Pat Obester added two goals of his own to lead the Rams to an 8-1 shellacking.

"Sunday our offense really kicked it in gear," Hiller said. "We played better in our own zone and kept our penalties down."

The same cannot be said for the effort of DU.

"(Denver) had three game misconducts and multiple five-minute calls," Sharrock said. "Our guys remained disciplined and got five power play goals."

The one bright spot for the Rams on Saturday night was two goals by sophomore forward Tim Stiller.

But, perhaps more surprising than anything this weekend, was the all-around sloppy play by Denver.

"Our guys would skate 20 feet down the ice and take a punch to the helmet," Sharrock said. "But that's just where DU is at, sloppy."

Up next for Ram hockey is a three-day trip to the state of Utah to play BYU, Weber State and Utah State. The next home game is Saturday, Oct. 22 against Utah State. Tickets are $5 for students.