Authors: Kathryn Dailey

Thousands of students, parents and community members lined the streets early Saturday morning for the annual Community Homecoming Parade, which traveled from Old Town to Moby Arena.

The entire community was involved – little girls dressed in CSU cheerleading uniforms ran around their parents feet, dogs basked in the attention of the passers-by who couldn't help but stop and pet them and students brought along parents and family for the Homecoming and Family weekend.

The parade kicked off as the CSU cheerleaders shouted, "I'm proud to be a CSU Ram," and were followed by the CSU marching band playing the fight song, which was heard long before the band could be seen.

"I heard about this parade and I wanted to see school spirit," said Jamie Kinsley, sophomore social work major.

Floats belonging to all different types of organizations and businesses made their way along the streets including the Colorado Eagles, multiple radio stations and people racing by on go-carts for Fort Fun.

The giant goose on the JAX Outdoor Gear float squeaked every time it moved and stirred up giggles from many of the children watching the parade.

Following the theme for the weekend "We're Better Together," the Colorado Academy of the Arts came out clad in tie-dye shirts with a sign on their float echoing the sentiment.

"I think it's cool how the Fort Collins community and the school got together to show their support," Kinsley said.

Later, Fort Collins High School, one of the many schools involved in the parade, came through and got the crowd moving with their marching band.

"(The parade) is really festive," said Alison Barber, sophomore construction major.

The parade also honored local war veterans, according to http://www.homecoming.colostate.edu/.

Almost everyone stood and applauded members of the armed forces as they made their way down the streets. Members of the 82nd Airborne Division headed up the vets, followed by a sign stating "All Saved, Some Gave All."

Both young and old veterans alike were involved in the parade, many of whom shook the hands of those smiling and waving on the side of the road.

"It's nice that they include the whole town in the celebration," said Barber's mom Dian, who was visiting for Family weekend.

The Greek Community sponsored a float with a giant can on it and a sign stating, "We donated our float funds to Cans Around the Oval," raising awareness about the canned food drive.

Another float that received much applause was the Ball and Chain Construction Management's float that showed a CAT tractor covered by a Rams' helmet with a wreaking ball demolishing a big "U" through a goal post.

"I'm kicking myself for not getting in the parade for my own selfish business reasons," laughed Jim Kinsley, Jamie's father, who was also visiting for Family weekend.