D-Stand wins game for Rams

Authors: Nick Piburn

CSU vs Utah Slideshow

The Mountain West powers have officially shifted away from Utah. With a goal line stand for the ages the CSU Rams beat two-time defending Mountain West Conference Champion Utah 21 -17 at Sonny Lubick Field at Hughes Stadium Saturday night.

"That goal line stand was a thing of beauty," said head coach Sonny Lubick. "I guess it tells you to always keep faith in the players, they keep probably more faith than we do sometimes."

The Utes converted on a forth and one from the Rams 24 yard line. Utah Senior running back Quinton Ganther took the pitch from sophomore quarterback Brian Johnson on an option and took the ball all the way to the Rams 4 yard-line.

Ganther got three yards on first down to get to the one yard-line, the Utes would get no further. Two failed quarterback sneaks later it was forth and game from the one with :27 left in the game. The Utes gave Ganther one more try but the Ram defensive was to tough to let it happen.

The sellout crowd of 32,713 acted as the 12th, 13th and 14th man for the defense during the goal line stand, making it impossible for the Utah offense to communicate outside the huddle. The Saturday night crowd was the 12th largest in Hughes Stadium history

The first half was defensive minded with Utah leading 7-3 at halftime. The Utes went up 14-3 after the first drive of the second half, when Johnson threw a 13 yard bullet to wide receiver Derrek Richards for the touchdown.

From there the Rams outscored the Utes 17-3 the rest of the game, mostly behind the offensive line and sophomore running back Kyle Bell. Bell finished the day with 140 yards on 25 carries, including the game winning 49 yard touchdown run with 5:05 remaining in the game. Of Bell///s 140 yards, 110 came after initial contact.

The difference in the game, though was clearly the way the defense stepped up.

The Rams will travel to Provo, Utah Saturday to face Brigham Young (2-3 overall, 1-1 in the MWC) for their first road conference game this season.