Authors: Katie Kelley

The Melting Pot

334 E. Mountain Ave.

201-0100

Hours:

Monday to Thursday

5 to 10 p.m.

Friday

5 to 11 p.m.

Saturday

4 to 11 p.m.

Sunday

4 to 10 p.m.

With delicious dips made from scratch right at your table, it seems that fondue is becoming the latest trend among sophisticated food connoisseurs and the place to get it is the Melting Pot.

Located in an obscure building just off Mountain Avenue east of College Avenue, the Melting Pot offers diners a unique evening of dips for dinner.

The Melting Pot opened last November and is the only fondue restaurant in Fort Collins.

"Every night should be treated as a celebration," said Kerri Gallant, co-owner of The Melting Pot. "I think it's something they haven't tried before and it's new."

The night begins with the choice of one of five available cheese dips including, Cheddar Cheese fondue (cheddar, emmenthaler Swiss cheese, lager beer, garlic and other seasonings), Wisconsin Trio Cheese Fondue (fontina, butterkase, buttermilk bleu cheeses, scallions, white wine and sherry), Traditional Swiss Cheese Fondue (gruyere, emmenthaler Swiss cheeses, white wine, garlic, nutmeg, lemon and cherry brandy), Fiesta Cheese Fondue (cheddar cheese with herbs, spices, jalapeno peepers and salsa) and the fifth cheese, which is not listed, the Spinach Artichoke Heart Cheese Fondue (vegetable bouillon, garlic, spinach and artichoke hearts, Swiss cheese mixture, parmesan cheese and Tabasco sauce), is by far the best cheese fondue offered.

The cheeses are served with fresh vegetables, green apple slices and various types of breads. The ingredients are mixed in a fondue pot and cooked on a hot surface directly at the table.

After the delicious cheese fondue, customers have their choice of salad, which include the Mushroom Salad, Chef's Salad and California Salad, which is unbelievably tasty with its Raspberry Black Walnut Vinaigrette dressing and Gorgonzola cheese.

The next course consists of a choice of eight different entrees such as the Vegetarian (fresh seasonal vegetables, tofu, portobello mushrooms, artichoke hearts and spinach gorgonzola ravioli), the French Quarter (sausage, shrimp, tenderloin, boneless chicken breast all seasoned with a Cajun spice blend) and the Center Cut (filet mignon medallions with portobello mushrooms).

After choosing an entree, four choices of cooking style are available, such as the Coq au Vin Fondue, which uses herbs, garlic, mushrooms, spices and burgundy wine. This goes wonderfully with The Vegetarian entree, Fondue Court Bouillon, Mojo Fondue and Fondue Bourguignonne.

If you're unsure of how to cook your entree, just ask your server, who also acts as a chef, what he or she recommends.

However, if you wish to try something different, check out the two feature choices including the Big Night Out and Fondue for Two. Both are perfect for that night out with friends or to celebrate a special occasion.

The Big Night Out offers a cheese fondue, salad and entree with cooking style. It includes the choice of the Original (lobster tails, black tiger shrimp, tenderloin, teriyaki sirloin, chicken breast and ravioli Florentine) or the New York Night (New York strip, black tiger shrimp, teriyaki sirloin, chicken breast and portobello mushrooms) and a Chocolate Fondue dessert.

The Fondue for Two offers a smaller course meal with a cheese fondue, salad and entrees with the Signature Selection, Surf & Turf and Pacific Rim.

Finally, what meal would be complete without dessert? The Melting Pot has just about the best desserts in town, all served with a platter of pineapple, banana slices, strawberries, graham cracker and Oreo-covered marshmallows, a slice of cheesecake, angel food cake and brownies to dip into one of the eight signature fondue desserts.

"I think the Flaming Turtle is my favorite, but I see a lot of Yin and Yang going out," Gallant said.

The Yin and Yang is made with half dark chocolate and half white chocolate to create a brilliant blend of sweetness.

Choose from one of their eight chocolate combinations or create your own with the Special Event, which allows you to decide what chocolate should be used and what it will be blended with. A personal favorite is the Flaming Turtle made with milk chocolate, caramel and chopped pecans.

The choices don't stop there, more than 110 varieties of wine, a full bar including eight signature martinis, such as the incredible Raspberry Martini made with Stoli Razberi Vodka and Chambord Black Raspberry Liqueur, and an after-dinner drink menu are available to titillate your taste buds.

If you are of legal drinking age try the Almond Mocha coffee, which blends Disarronno Amaretto, Kahlua, Godiva Chocolate Liqueur and coffee.

The decadence offered in this dining experience is sure to make anyone's night memorable and will have you craving fondue in the weeks to follow. Because of their succulent array of choices, the only hard part about the evening will simply be deciding which delicious concoction you want. But don't fret; servers are knowledgeable and available to offer advice.

"We guide [customers] through everything," Gallant said.

Do be sure to call ahead for dinner reservations. While still a new addition to the restaurant scene, The Melting Pot is quickly heating up with its luscious dips and wines.

"I think it's something unique and interactive so people get more of an experience when they dine with us," Gallant said.