Supporting the Right to Die

Authors: Collegian Editorial Staff

Humans have free will and should be allowed to ask their medical provider to help them end the pain.

Doctors vow to uphold the Hippocratic Oath, in which they promise to keep the sick from harm and injustice. Unfortunately, sometimes with the restraints of technology and medicinal knowledge, the only way to keep the sick from harm, is to let them go.

When a beloved pet is sick beyond chances of recovery, it is considered merciful to "put them to sleep." Yet we force our human loved ones to drag out their painful deaths.

When a person has dealt with a terminal illness or suffered the drastic effects of an accident, and has come to terms with death, who is the government to say they have to carry on?

Religious groups protest the procedure, but religious beliefs should not be considered when making laws. Under the Constitution, in America there is a separation of church and state.

Committing suicide, or attempting to commit suicide is not a crime in this country. Why then, should those physically incapable of committing suicide be denied the right to do so just because they need to ask for help?

Federal prohibition of physician assisted suicide makes innocent people suffer. It is a government intrusion into the private life of an individual.

While strict regulations should be in place to insure that the patient is truly the one who wishes to die, both passive and active euthanasia should be legal because humans deserve complete control of their body and life.