I am writing in response to the front-page story from Monday, October 3. I think the article itself was well written, which is more than I can say about previous articles on plaza controversies such as other preachers or the abortion displays.

I would just like the campus to know that if "Brother Matt," the street preacher from late last week, calls himself a Christian, then I am ashamed to call myself one. Here I am, running late for an engineering senior design presentation, and my heart breaks because I cannot express the views of Christianity that Brother Matt is so far away from and that the rest of the onlookers are unable to see.

Matt Bourgault is way off base. His free speech is protected, even though it is flawed and "…out of control" as Gregory O'Bannon states in the aforementioned article. Mr. Bourgault accuses many different groups on campus as being "sinners," and that they are going to Hell. You know, in all my years of going to church and reading the Bible, I never once heard of Jesus Christ saying this. I chuckle as I write that, because it sounds so ridiculous. So it makes me wonder where this Brother Matt character gets off saying all these things in the name of Christianity. I know that I do things wrong all the time. I don't need him to tell me that. I'm probably worse than half the people out there. But the truth is, and I hope every last soul on campus can read this, it's not about being perfect or sinless, it's about being forgiven.

Which begs the question, "Forgiven from what"? Why do all these Christians talk about forgiveness, and being "saved"? And that my colleagues, is what is called the Gospel, or translated from Greek, "good news". If you asked me, I would call it great news.

Jared Cummings

senior

mechanical engineering