Authors: Melissa Edwards

The second part of the story began with an anonymous $5,000 donation. The first part began with the tragic deaths of two CSU graduates, Javad Marshall-Fields and Vivian Wolfe . The couple was gunned down June 20, 2005 in their car at an Aurora intersection.

Marshall-Fields, known as "Jay" to his friends, and Wolfe were both known for their bright smiles and their integral parts in the Key Academic Community of CSU. Key is a living-learning community for first-year students, said Paul Thayer, executive director of the Center for Advising and Student Achievement (CASA) .

"It is a program for students who are anxious for an intense and enriched academic experience," he said.

The donation was given because the donor "wanted something good to come out of the tragedy," said Beth Hill, director of development for student affairs .

The donation was the first step in establishing the Fields/Wolfe Memorial Scholarship Fund. The donor will match up to $12,500 in other donations, making the endowment fund at least $25,000. Hill said this is called a "challenge grant."

On Sept. 15, the couple's parents, along with friends and CSU alumni, put on a golf tournament in memory of Marshall-Fields and Wolfe to help raise money for the scholarship fund. The "Together Forever" tournament raised $13,500 and the families of Marshall-Fields and Wolfe will present the check to CSU at the homecoming football game on Saturday for disbursement into the Fields/Wolfe fund.

The "Together Forever" tournament charged players an entry fee of $85, or $340 per four-person team, with 100 percent of proceeds going toward the scholarship fund. Various organizations and businesses also sponsored holes in the tournament.

The scholarship fund also receives money from personal donations and from T-shirts sold by Black Student Services (BSS). The T-shirts picture Marshall-Fields and Wolfe together and proclaim "In memory of," and the back has the phone number for Crime Stoppers. The T-shirts are $15 for students and $20 for non-students. One hundred percent of these proceeds also go toward the scholarship fund.

"The hope of the families is to continue to raise funds for the endowment," Hill said.

The first $1,000 scholarship was awarded to Nicole Thompson, a freshman psychology major in the Key Academic Community. She is a 2005 graduate of Smoky Hill High School in Aurora, the same high school Marshall-Fields attended. Wolfe attended Air Academy High School in Colorado Springs.

"Awarding the scholarship is a hierarchy system," Hill said. "Primary consideration is given to Key students, specifically graduates of Smoky Hill or Air Academy."

If none of those students is eligible, the scholarship committee then looks at other graduates from Aurora high schools and finally at other Colorado high schools.

Contributions to the fund can be made anytime to BSS or to the vice president for student affairs.

"The families really believe that whatever they can do to get the message across to stop crime and violence will help," Hill said. " They will do anything to see there is justice, to see that something like this would not happen again."

The parents of Marshall-Fields and Wolfe have been effective in making the tragedy known to the community in hopes of keeping the memories of the couple alive.

"The parents have been wonderful, generous and courageous. This is something Javad and Vivian would have wished for," Thayer said. "Education and family were the most important things to them."