Authors: Aaron Schonnmaker

CSU and Weber State wore out the diamond in a marathon series this weekend. After four games and twenty-four hours of baseball, the series was split and the question on everyone's mind was unanswered.

Who is the better team?

CSU suffered a little bit of a hic-up on Friday night, dropping the first two games. However Saturday's afternoon heat brought out the fire in the Rams, as they controlled the final two games of the series, winning 6-2 and 5-4, earning the split.

"We played as bad as I've ever seen us play (on Friday) in nearly 200 games at CSU," said second baseman David Schultz. "We played terrible. Pitching, hitting, defense – everything."

The Rams went up 2-0 early in game one, only to lose 12-2. They jumped to a 1-0 lead similarly in game two, before falling 8-5.

"We were a lot more focused (on Saturday)," said Richard Whitner, junior pitcher. "We gave up less errors and hit a lot better."

Junior catcher Austin Tillack hit a three-run home run in the first inning of game one on Saturday. Thomas Ahrens threw six innings of lights-out ball before giving up a solo shot in the fifth.

"Tommy threw well," Whitner said. "He was very efficient."

Third baseman Caleb Bond added two runs scored off two walks in the effort.

The close games only reinforced the idea that Weber State and CSU are to club as the Yankees and Red Sox are to professional ball, as their rivalry from previous years continues.

"Even though it is a sort of rebuilding year for us, I'm still very happy with our progress," said Weber State Head Coach Dano Jauregui. "I still feel we will be one of the better teams in the country."

The Rams left the weekend disappointed from Friday, but confident they are the team to beat this year.

"They were a decent team," Schultz said. "But we should not have lost to them at all."

The Rams, now 6-4 in the fall, have been using a lot of players, trying to come up with what will work this fall.

Next up for the Rams will be at Western Nebraska on Thursday, and home again on Sunday for a double header against the University of Colorado.